Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Today on Martha.....

One of my favorite chefs..... Lidia Bastianich. I have one of her cookbooks and if anyone is interested in a one-skillet chicken dish that rocks, leave me a comment and I'll post it. I hadn't really thought of any new year resolutions until I watched this show today. Cook MORE!!! Martha had on a chef who demonstrated her homemade stuffed ravioli, another who made a flaky sweet bread, and Lidia who did a sausage dish. I think I have to make a promise to myself to get busier in the kitchen this year. We got into the habit of going out alot last year although I'm not sure why. I am a fairly good cook and what I don't know, I've got a great collection of cookbooks to follow along with. Hubby gave me a Good Housekeeping one for Christmas the year we got married and I just had it out the other morning for a pancake recipe. I have specialty books, for Indian and Korean dishes. Bread recipes and a bread machine. A divine chocolate recipe book. Soups, pastas, appetizers, even one for sauces and dips.
As far as chefs go.... I've got my definite favorites. Nigella Lawson wins hands down. Not only is she awesome in the kitchen, she's got a personal book collection to drool over, a gorgeous British accent, and one of those incredible full-figured hourglass bodies that I must admit to oogling over a little toooooo often. I'd drop my husband in a hot second if she sashayed into my kitchen. Mmmm.... YES!
Another fav, is the Contessa... the Barefoot kind. I love watching how she takes such great care of Jeffrey on the weekends, the hubby who's away from home all week working. Okay, sure... she's a BMW drivin', Hamptons livin' with an apartment in Paris rich chick, with tons of wealthy friends to host card parties for, but she is still AWESOME! Love her. Not in the Nigella way. You know, that carnal, lusty, hungry, erotic Nigella way.... did I just write that??!!?! C'mon Mare.... reality is calling......get out of lesbian lane......
Back to the list:
We've discussed Lidia, Ina, lovely Nigella.
Now for the men:
Bobby Flay
Jamie Oliver
Actually, I think I prefer Jamie to Bobby, but wouldn't kick either of them out of my kitchen if they showed up with a brush and some oil. Jamie has a new show starting soon on the food network, which is in HD now!!
Yes, I definitely think I have to dazzle my family with some new recipes this year. Hubby and I talked about trying to save for a trip to Disney and eating home more would certainly be a great start. Time to go dust off the cookbooks and get busy!

3 comments:

  1. Mary,
    I am always up for a good recipe. In fact I have a large three ring binder that I fill with those plastic sleeves. Everytime I find a good recipe online i print it off and throw it in. My own cook book, filled with nothing I don't like the sounds of. It is also full of handed down recipes, so whenever I need some comfort food, that is where i look. Hugs, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now wait a minute. Wait just a minute - do you have a twin?! Is it me?! Because I swear, I feel the same way about Nigella, ADORE her, and I love Lidia and all the rest also. I jokingly call Lidia my Tia Lidia (Aunt) whenever I see her on t.v. And I am eagerly awaiting the Jamie Oliver show, I think he's adorable.

    By the way, please do post the recipe! Like Dawn said above, I have a three ring binder with plastic sleeves that I keep them in. It's the only way to go and it's become one of my favorite items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dawn and Fiwa, that's so great you both have those books. I should start something like that for my favs. Better than running upstairs and digging thru umpteen books to find recipes I really love.
    The chicken recipe is up on my page, hope you enjoy it. It's very good!
    Fiwa... yes, Lidia is just like a favorite Auntie who makes you feel so special and taken care of. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!