With an early morning doctor appointment I grabbed my iPod on the way out the door as I usually do, but this time included headphones in case I got a break with traffic and arrived early. Usually a book goes to all appts. but today I didn't feel much like 'thinking' about anything specific and music is always a nice alternative. I didn't have to wait long at all, this specialist's office runs very smoothly! Of course I again refused to be weighed. Told the nurse to just write that I broke the scale. We had a good laugh while she checked vitals and with b.p. and heartrate okay she just wrote 'declined' for weight and left me with my music.
In walks the Doc. I take my headphones off. He shakes my hand and takes my iPod, says he wants to see what I'm listening to, and starts turning the dial, scrolling thru my tunes. I was wondering just a bit what he'd say as I recently added these songs to the already strange playlist I posted here.:
Rockin' Into the Night.....38 Special
How Many More Times.....Led Zepplin
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.....Led Zepplin
Dance This Mess Around.....B-52's
Lava.....B-52's
6060-842.....B-52's
Dirty Back Road.....B-52's
Tube Snake Boogie.....ZZ Top
Got Me Under Pressure.....ZZ Top
Pearl Necklace.....ZZ Top
Don't Tell Mama.....Cabaret, Broadway Cast
Who's That Girl.....Madonna
Burden in My Hand.....Soundgarden
All for You.....Janet Jackson
Reptilia.....The Strokes
My Way.....Limp Bizkit
His eyebrows raised at one point and...OMG...hopefully it was not while passing a couple songs by the Dead Kennedy's. But hey, a little anarchist punk reminds me of my high school days. He said nothing, if those tunes were curious to him.
He scrolls a bit more.Looks at me and says:
Tube Snake Boogie
And I couldn't tell whether he just thought that was a funny name for a song or if he knew it or if he heard what it might pertain to.... altho according to the band, they claim it's really just lingo for a surf board....
So I just said: ZZ TopHe kept scrolling.
I said ..... but look, there's a show tune on there. Don't Tell Mama, from Cabaret. You like shows, right?
Him: Yes, I like CabaretMe: Me too, saw it a few times.
He's still scrolling.... now he's out of the playlist and into the 'artist' list.
I'm trying to see if he stops on anything in particular but he just handed it back to me. He sits down, smiles and says:
The music people listen to reveal alot about them.Me: really?
Him: yes, absolutely
Me: Well in all fairness, that was just one playlist
Him: I looked thru the artist list
Me: But I have over 600 cd's at home, music is very important to me. Then blogging, then the hubby and kids. LOL
Him: In that order, LOL So you do blogging?? Really?
Me: Yes
Him: Really???
Me: Yes
Him: Who reads your blog?
Me: Uh, the internet community at large??
Him: Do people comment?
Me: Yeah, some. I put everything on there.... ramblings, pictures, LOTS of pictures. My family doesn't so much like some of them. But I've got Photoshop, I can make us all look better. LOL
Him: I took a class on Photoshop on a cruise one time.Me: That must have been fun, altho I'll never cruise again. Not after the jumper.
And so we chatted about cruising and that situation and how sick I got and he told me what I could try next time, as if there will ever be a next time, and about vacations in general and how I wanted to go to Europe and should have gone when hubby gave me the option a couple years ago, but he said not to go now, the dollar is too bad. We could have chatted longer. He's my favorite doctor because he is so wonderfully kind. We usually manage to laugh about something and I'm generally at ease there considering a couple of the tests he's done on me were horribly invasive. But after all, it was a scheduled appt. so health had to come into play at some point. We talked about how my weight was bothering me and he scanned back in the chart and said, 'I've known you for a long time' and reminded me of when I was considerably less. He thought I was too thin then. I told him you can never tell a woman that she is too thin. He said that I looked really good now anyway. I said here's the same look (and I rolled my eyes back) that I give my hubby when he compliments me. He said that overall you can still see that a person looks nice and healthy though. But I haven't felt so healthy lately and we talked about a few of my symptoms and he's going to do some additional bloodwork and asked me to make some diet changes. Just a few basics at first 'til the results are in, then we'll go from there. And one of them.... limiting caffeine. I said that I didn't really drink coffee but when I mentioned my soy cocoa he laughed and said to ask around about whether chocolate had caffeine in it???? LOL
Ooops. Okay, so I have to find a way to make some changes. Wow, I should really try much harder as the first place I stopped on my way home was Starbucks! I ordered my regular but talked to the manager and she suggested I try a steamer with vanilla and soy next time. Yes, I guess I will.
I like how you put everything out there in your posts. How funny your doctor scrolled through your iPod. That seems so personal to me!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck giving up (or at least cutting back) on caffeine. That can be hard. I had to do that recently, mainly because my nervous system gets too ampped up by it, and it's been ok. The only caffeine I take in is my Starbucks Chai tea.
I'm like you, I pretty much always take a book to the Dr's office.
Enjoyed your posts!! Thanks for commenting on my blog as well.
haha I LOVE YOUR BLOG! all of your pictures and entries make me smile! keep on doing what you do<3
ReplyDeleteWhat a great doctor - I've never gone to one who has so personable like that.
ReplyDeleteI feel for you on the caffine, I had to cut back too. It's painful, but it gets better.
Hi Rhea,
ReplyDeleteTo the horror of hubby maybe I am too telling at times. But I find humor in many places.
I've known that Doc for awhile so I was cool with it.
Chai rocks. Guess I'll have to see what I can tolerate.
Thanks for stopping by Mallory! You are kind to compliment. :)
Hello Fiwa, that Doc I met when I was dealing with a really low hemoglobin so between him and my GP there was concern of internal bleeding. Turned out to not be the case but he was very concerned and thorough and I was impressed by the way he took care of his patients.
Have a nice weekend everyone! M
A lump in my breast (actually BOTH, after the PA got to feeling around!) recently caused me to consider cutting back on the caffeine. Then I decided that lumps in my breasts give them personality.
ReplyDeleteHi Diva,
ReplyDeleteGuess it makes them perky in a different way?
Hope you're well and they were benign.
Thanks for visiting. :)