Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gentle reminders

After meeting hubby for lunch at an Indian buffet, he went back to work and I headed right to the bookstore! There was a good article in the Mountain Astrologer so I did read a good bit of that. My 'puter astro program has some glitches and won't load since we got the new hard drive so I haven't been delving into birth charts much lately but there are usually alot of samples in the mag to look at.

When deciding on something to buy though, I ended up with the new issue of Buddhadharma. There was a situation that came up last night with my daughter and I feel bad that all I had to offer was a few snippy comments. I definitely didn't handle it as I should have. She was upset over some family issues and I guess because I've had to deal with alot of drama over the years on both sides I've become a little hardened. Remembering times I wanted care and comfort, times I hoped for more closeness, past slights, missing my parents, it was all blocking me from giving her what she needed. Luckily, my hubby knew how to get things back on track.

I find sometimes when a situation is very trying, I need to search out a bit of inspirational reading and many times Buddhism offers something valuable. It gently reminds me that it's okay to put the burdens down and just start again......right from exactly where I am at any moment.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know who the statue is meant to be... is that the Buddha? Or a bodhisatva?/if so do you know which one..? I am fascinated to know...

    hey! i put Vanessa's link back up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gledwood,
    I've always considered this piece to be representative of a seated Buddha. There are different ones... reclining, standing, and sitting, emaciated, laughing.
    The long earlobes denote special perception, also I've read they are long to represent lotus blossoms.
    On this statue the candleholder is a lotus blossom and it's beautiful when lit.
    Bodhisattva's are on the path to becoming Buddhas and I think it's the Mahayana? Buddhists that consider them to be very enlightened beings who use their wisdom to help others with their liberation.
    As Buddha was once a Bodhisattva, anyone attaining the same level of enlightment, where they are freed from the cycle of birth and death is then a Buddha also.
    Thanks for visiting today!
    Hope you are well.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!