Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Skiing, the ER, and leftovers

My son went on a trip to the Poconos with his school this weekend. It was only for 2 days but luckily not any longer as when we picked him up last night, we knew immediately he was going to have to be seen at the ER. His thumb was black, blue, and swollen. When he called us before turning in the night before he said that he'd fallen while skiing and had some swelling. Without seeing it, I could only assume that maybe he jammed it. And since none of the advisors or chaparones called us, I didn't want to worry unneccessarily.
Really though, I guess I'm surprised that he was able to get on skis without instruction. He said lessons were 'optional' so he opted to get right out there and give it a go. More time for fun. Okay. I wasn't there. He got away with that. Said none of the other kids took the lesson either. They all started on the beginner slope and he must have graduated quickly because he said the next hill was steeper and pretty fast. After a couple runs and probably a couple tumbles, he fell harder and I guess while rolling was when he injured his hand. He said he told one of the chaparones and he said it would be fine until he got home and could get it looked at. Or something similar to that. They must have had their hands full. One advisor had to return home on an emergency, one student had a concussion, another had sprained her knee caps, and my baby with a fractured thumb. Yup, after taking him right to the ER after collecting him from the school, it was found to be broken in two places. Not complete breaks that needed to be set, but one fracture was by the growth plate so he'll need to be seen by an orthopedic doc as soon as possible. Til then, he's in a soft cast and a sling.
All in all he had fun on the trip and would go again for sure. Of course I am a little upset that we weren't notified formally by a representative of his school. Even tho he didn't complain much about it and because of past surgeries and procedures probably has a fairly high tolerance for pain, it was clearly something that looked like it needed an x-ray and I think someone else should have noticed that. But he continued on, attending workshops and doing activities, so maybe he just kept it to himself for the most part and didn't want to make trouble knowing a couple other kids had been injured too. I don't know. I'll call the program rep on Monday and tell her the situation and see if anything was reported. He was able to get right to sleep luckily and is still in bed this morning. He loves to sleep in!! And after working and playing hard for a couple days, he can use the rest.

Wish I could rest too, but I've got a sinus thing that's kicking my ass. My throat is scratchy, my head is aching. Smell and taste have been off for days. Haven't slept so well the last couple nights. When I got up this morning.... still tired and lost the extra hour too.... I had cold Chinese pizza from last night and heated up the remainder of a Dunkin' Decaf that I put in the fridge before bed. So I'll have to find some other way of pampering myself today. Any ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!