Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What smells so good in here???

I got this aromatherapy diffuser at Whole Foods awhile ago and I LOVE it! It plugs into the lighter and came with a couple pads to change up the scents. They sell alot of yummy essential oils there too. I have about 40 of them. My family knows not to tell me they have a boo-boo unless they want some tea tree or lavender oil used on them. A headache, more lavender, maybe with some peppermint or eucalyptus. Trouble sleeping, here comes that lavender again, or a few drops of chamomile on the pillow.
Want something more sensuous...... come into my hippie den and let's mix a blend of patchouli and ylang ylang with some almond oil and bliss out!
Check out this website, Goddess Within, for some product info. I've never ordered from them but the prices seem reasonable and I am out of geranium and low on a few other so I might have to do some shopping soon. :)
If you are not familiar with essential oils don't use them without taking time to learn some basics. In the car diffuser, you put a few drops on the pad, and plug it in, easy enough. But if you aren't aware of the way you react to certain scents, some may be too stimulating or too relaxing for driving. So experiment beforehand. On the body, lavender and tea tree are generally okay to use straight, (if pregnant, have epilepsy, or very young children 3 or under or are elderly, please consult someone certified about any of the oils before using for any reason) but many of them are too powerful and must be blended with a carrier oil for massage. I've used a few, like grapeseed, sweet almond, and sunflower oil. Light olive works, and other vegetable oils. Always best to do a skin test with the essential and carrier oils together. I found out the hard way my son was allergic to almond oil when I used it on his tummy to ease the symptoms of a virus. When he broke out in a full body rash I realized the almond was the culprit. So experiment with the delightful world of aromatherapy because it can be very therapeudic and wonderful to all the senses but do it carefully please! Some of my favorites are: lavender, patchouli, ylang ylang, vetiver, sweet orange, geranium, chamomile, clary sage, lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus.

3 comments:

  1. I love oils - lavender is my favorite. I love to sprinkle lavender oil on my sheets when I put them in the dyer.

    I played around with making my own oils once, but sadly they all came out smelling like the olive oil I had used as the carrier oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever used them in scent diffusers, candles and in potpouri. I haven't experimented that much farther in them. I love the cinnamon scent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiwa, Oooh... that must smell just heavenly!
    I had a few experiments get funky on me too. Keep trying, it's wonderful to create that perfect scent.
    Burfica, Cinnamon is great too. Love it around the holidays. I used to have potpourri around everywhere, now that I have the big water diffuser in my living room I use that. Mine turns colors, it's neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate you!